Impact of Ownership
How Habitat Homeownership Makes A Difference
A Davenport University study shows more ways homeownership is making a difference in
the lives of Habitat families:
- 68% of families report an increase in their income.
- 25% of families report better grades in school for their children.
- 23% of families report less sickness.
- 58% of families report less family conflict.
- 40% of families report obtaining additional education.
Homeownership Builds Stronger Families
Children of homeowners:
- Are 25% more likely to graduate from high school.
- Are 16% more likely to graduate from college.
- Are 20% less likely to become teenage mothers.
- Are 59% more likely to own a home within 10 years of moving from parent's household.
- Save taxpayers an estimated $34,000 in public expenditures.
- Are 10% more likely to attend church.
- Are 16% more likely to join parent-teacher organizations, block clubs, etc.
- Read newspapers 1.3 times more often.
- Are less likely to have alcohol and substance-abuse problems.